Sunday, July 09, 2006

More than slightly disOriented!

I have been back home in DC for a little over two days now, and it feels very strange to be back. I can't fully explain why, but it just feels funny. When I was in China, I had quite a few moments when it seemed surreal that I was actually so far away, in a culture so different. Several times, I thought to myself, "this feels like somebody put me on a bus to Chinatown, and I am not allowed to leave for a few days." Now I am back, and sleeping is the toughest part. I keep waking up, expecting to be in a hotel room in China, and finding myself in my own regular bed throws me off so badly. I dream about China; its sounds, scents, and colors. I dream about the people. I see myself in situations with the members of the delegation I travelled in. It will take a few days to get used to being back. Of course, I can't bring myself yet to go shopping and do any cooking, so I have had only three meals in two and a half days, two of them at McDonalds, and one pizza. There is a Chinese food place down the road from my house, and I am curious to see how long it takes before I go and order food from there.

In short, I am more than slightly disOriented!

Some final pictures from Shanghai.

In the MAGLEV train from downtown Shanghai to the Pudong International Airport with my colleagues from Maret and Bullis.
The 30 km ride took about seven minutes in total, and I felt slightly robbed. I wanted my money back, not because the ride was not worth it (it was), but because it was over before I had even settled into my seat and began seriously enjoying the ride. Oh goodness! Next time I will buy several tickets and simply go back and forth on the high speed train until my heart is contented.

My friends from Sidwell (above), Holton-Arms, and St. Albans (below) enjoy the ride.


On this day, our highest speed during our ride on the train was 431 km per hour. The highest speed I hear about is 265 miles per hour (no idea how many kph).

The Shanghai Transrapid MAGLEV train enters the train-station downtown. Notice the special tracks and the shape of the train.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home